- Youth Engagement
- Promoting NL
- Quality of Life
- Culture & Diversity
- Incentives to Stay & Return
POLICY DIRECTION 8: INCENTIVES TO STAY OR RETURN
The Provincial Government, young people, partners and communities will work together to create a province of choice in Newfoundland and Labrador. Together...
- Increase access to incentives for young people to stay in, or move to, Newfoundland and Labrador to live and work.
Priorities and Current Initiatives
Key priorities we need to consider...
- Throughout the Strategy development, there were a number of diverse recommendations that came forward to provide specific incentives for staying or moving to Newfoundland and Labrador, including the CPRN recommendation to implement a Student Debt Reduction incentive for graduates that stay in the province.
Actions to Support Youth Retention and Attraction
- We will examine feasible approaches to providing financial or other incentives for staying or moving to Newfoundland and Labrador, including first time home buyers incentive, transportation incentives, relocation incentives, and incentives tied to employment demands.
- We will develop and launch a Youth Connections Webpage/Registry that will allow youth and new graduates who move away to stay in touch with what is happening here in the province. This registry will complement initiatives such as the Ambassador program to provide regular updates about local initiatives, news, and events as well as emerging career opportunities.
- We will develop a web-based "Guide to Relocation" in Newfoundland and Labrador to provide a one-stop web portal for individuals to access information on relocating to the province. The web portal will provide access to real estate information, movers and shippers, information on schools, and community services in the destination region.
Related Recommendations from the Canadian Policy
Download the CPRN Report "Making Newfoundland and Labrador a Province of Choice"
- Implement a voluntary registry for those who leave the province to study or work elsewhere. Provide information on job and career opportunities in Newfoundland and Labrador so that youth can identify opportunities to return home.
- Explore incentives for student debt reduction.
- Explore home purchasing incentives.
Quotes from Youth and Partners
"I really appreciate what the government is doing for youth - it's so pro-active! As someone who recently moved away from the province, it means a lot to me to know that in a few years, when I'm ready to come back, there'll be changes in place, and it'll actually be possible for me to be able to come home."
"I was educated, impressed and I was also motivated.I can only hope that, with all the ideas that have been thrown out there...they will be taken and used to generate a province to live, love and be proud of! Newfoundland is our province - make it our home, keep it our home!"
"Thank you guys so much for giving me the opportunity to share my ideas with everyone, even when I live so far away. I hope that everything from this meeting goes through to the right hands because people like me will be home.back in this beautiful province."
".It is our dream that years down the road that we'll be able to look back and proudly say "we were a part of the development of the youth attraction and retention policy" and can continue to proudly declare that Newfoundland and Labrador is the place to come and stay!"
"Government needs to partner with industry leaders and organizations to ensure that employment opportunities for young people are competitive. Incentives such as competitive wage packages, permanent positions, medical benefits, continuing education and pension planning do make a difference."
"Creating a Province of Choice - A Youth Retention and Attraction Strategy for Newfoundland and Labrador". Available to download in pdf format.