- Youth Engagement
- Promoting NL
- Quality of Life
- Culture & Diversity
- Incentives to Stay & Return
POLICY DIRECTION 7: LABRADOR
Labrador - Together
The Provincial Government, young people, partners and communities will work together to create a province of choice in Newfoundland and Labrador. Together...
Strengthen Labrador's role in the province by:
- supporting the implementation of the Northern Strategic Plan towards the vision of Labrador where Government and people work together to advance social and economic development so that residents share in an improved quality of life.
Priorities and Current Initiatives
Key priorities we need to consider...
- As outlined in the CPRN final report "young people from Labrador see themselves as a part of the larger province and their goals and aspirations are similar to youth throughout the island. However, it is clear that there was limited knowledge and understanding of the living conditions and circumstances between people living on the island and those in Labrador, and especially between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people."
- Participants from Labrador spoke passionately about their region's needs for essential basic services such as water, sewage treatment, housing, health services, and transportation, which they believe are not adequately addressed.
We have a strong foundation to build on...
- The Provincial Government has implemented a Strategic Northern Plan that will see over $400M invested to support priorities for social and economic development among Labrador residents.
- The Provincial Government recently announced a $130 million stimulus package to increase economic activity and improve infrastructure in Labrador.
Actions to Support Youth Retention and Attraction
- We will implement the Experience Labrador - Exchange Program to provide opportunities for young people from Labrador and the island portion of the province to learn about each others cultures and lifestyles.
Related Recommendations from the Canadian Policy
Download the CPRN Report "Making Newfoundland and Labrador a Province of Choice"
- Implement activities to increase dialogue and a common understanding of culture between youth from Labrador and the island portion of the province. These activities would include initiatives to raise awareness about diversity with a focus on Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal peoples. They would also include exchange programs for young people to encourage travel and living experiences between the island and Labrador.
- Review the Northern Strategic Plan for Labrador with a youth lens to determine how it could contribute to the Youth Attraction and Retention Strategy.
- Strengthen investments in appropriate infrastructure development in Labrador such as paved roads and water and sewage treatment facilities.
Quotes from Youth and Partners
"The summit increased my awareness of the issues faced by people in various parts of Newfoundland. I have a new sensitivity to the challenges of living in remote communities and living in Labrador."
".As a Labradorian, I'm hoping the sessions will look at Labrador too, when deciding on huge processes. I'm happy you wanted to hear from me, and thank you for the opportunity. I hope some of my insights are going to help our wonderful province."
"Creating a Province of Choice - A Youth Retention and Attraction Strategy for Newfoundland and Labrador". Available to download in pdf format.